You are here
Home > china > How To Apply For A China Tourist Visa in The Philippines

How To Apply For A China Tourist Visa in The Philippines

Great Wall of China, here I come! Okay, not so fast. Why? Because the Chinese Embassy says so. But the ugly reality of visa hassles cannot kill the travel bug. A little patience will get you far, literally.


All visitors to China require a visa except for citizens from Brunei, Japan and Singapore. A Chinese visa covers almost the entire country. Almost because in some restricted areas like Tibet, an additional permit is required.

There are eight categories of visas:

C – flight attendant
D – resident
F – business or student visa
G – transit
J – journalist
L – travel
X – long-term student
Z – working

For this article, we’re mainly going to focus on the L or tourist visa. For Filipinos, it is best (if not required) to apply before leaving the Philippines. Some borders (and also Hong Kong) can process visas, yes, but policies may change without prior notice.

L/Tourist Visa Requirement for First-Timers (Filipinos):

1. Passport, also a photocopy of the bio (first) page and last page (with details of contact person in case of emergency). And oh, passort must have blank pages and at least 6 months valid before expiration.
2. Roundtrip plane ticket (if not coming back to the Philippines, must present an onward flight ticket)
3. Hotel booking or letter of invitation (from friend or relative living in China)
4. NBI Clearance, original copy, valid for travel abroad
5. SSS ID or E-1 or static information or contributions info (may be a print out from SSS online)
6. TIN ID or ITR
7. Bank certificate, should have at least 50k
8. Certificate of Employment
9. Accomplished visa application form (to be provided at the embassy) affixed with one passport-sized photo.

Update July 19, 2012:

On our recent embassy visit, the new requirements for first time applicants (paying for own travel expenses) are as follows:

1. Latest ITR with BIR-received stamp and issued for the last taxable year (original and photocopy).
2. Original bank certificate, account (current or savings) should be opened 6 months prior to applying for the visa. Account should have an average daily balance AND to-date/current balance of at least P100,000 per applicant (18 years old and above).

In addition to the bank certificate, submit the following supporting documents:

a) Statement of accounts detailing transactions for 6 months prior to applying for visa (original and photocopy of all pages).
b) Or passbook detailing transactions for 6 months prior to applying for visa (original and photocopy of all pages).

If you’ve already been provided a visa before (or a citizen from Australia, Canada, EU, New Zealand or U.S.A), you may just submit: passport (with photocopies), accomplished visa application form with photo, plane ticket, and hotel booking. Your passport must have the old Chinese Visa sticker, otherwise, you’ll be considered a first timer and you must submit all the other requirements.

If you cannot provide a certificate of employment, the bank certificate will do. Or bring an old COE. I was (and still am) unemployed when I applied for the Chinese visa, so I submitted an old U.A.E. work visa to prove that I was an OFW and am currently on vacation.

Do not rely on the embassy’s website. It may not be updated.

Where to apply:

World Center (2nd & 3rd Floor), 330 Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue, Makati City
Just ask at the reception where the Chinese Embassy is, and they will point which direction the stairs to the 2nd floor is located.


Taken from Google Maps. Aerial photograph of the building and nearby landmarks here.

Be early. Really early. Although the embassy’s office hours run from 9AM-12NN and 1PM-3PM, they only accept applicants until 11AM. And it’s highly likely that there would be 100 people on queue before your turn. You’ll be given a number, so you may go in and out the embassy for a snack or a drag break.

When your number’s called (or flashed on the digital screen), you proceed to the visa counter and submit the documents. The assessor may peruse the requirements without saying a word. If you lack any, he/she will say so right then and there (or they’ll call you within the day). You will then be provided the pink slip, which is the claim stub (if approved) for you to present when you come back after 4 working days.

Visa fees (regular processing) are as follows:
Philippines Passport P1,400
U.S.A. Passport P2,500
Other foreign passports P1,700

Visa must be used within 3 months of the date of issue (this is indicated on the visa sticker), and is good for 30 days from date you enter China. Penalty for overstaying is up to Y500 a day.

If you don’t want to deal with the embassy, there are numerous travel agencies that offer visa assistance. In Malate and Ermita, most agencies charge P1,500-P3,000 on top of the actual visa fee. Agencies in Makati charge cheaper because the embassy’s just within the area.

My (unpaid) recommendation, The Flight Shop. Truth is, we asked for visa assistance because I lacked SSS ID/E-1 and certificate of employment. They charge an affordable P500 service fee. If interested, you may visit them at 2nd Floor Bankmer Building, 6756 Ayala Avenue Makati. Or call +632 8131951. It’s just across Makati Stock Exchange. McDonald’s is in the same building.


This page was viewed times.

Gay Emami
When not backpacking, she teaches her daughter sight words and belly dancing (even if she's not good at it). She's currently eating her way around some hippie town in Australia. She loves talking about herself in the third person.

235 thoughts on “How To Apply For A China Tourist Visa in The Philippines

  1. very helpful! i had a chinese visa before so i don’t have to go through all that hassle of sss, etc. i am unemployed now but working on rakets and financial assistance from family. hehe i hope i have a great chance of getting another one. i think china again will be my next destination!

    thanks a lot!!! very nice!!!

  2. hi, i got my chinese visa august of 2008 just in time for the olympics. at that time i needed to write a letter to the office stating my trip is pure leisure/vacation and has nothing to do with my work. i work for abs tv and write articles for travel/leisure magazines. strict noh. hehe

    i hope i get my second chance for a visa, sana its easier naman since i already had a visa before.

  3. Can I apply for a new Chinese tourist visa by letting someone else take my passport back and apply it in my home country (Canada) while I stay here in China, assuming that my existing visa isn’t going to expire for the whole time being?
    Thanks in advance.

  4. Hi David, Chinese visa extensions can only be applied in China. First-time extensions of 30 days for single-entry tourist visas are (I’ve heard) easy to obtain. Further extensions might already be difficult to get.

    If you do not want to do so, why not apply for a dual or multiple visa before entering the country? Or perhaps do a visa run in Hong Kong (well, processing may take up to 5 days).

  5. hi! for the tin id/ e1, is it okay to give them just a photocopy of it? but i will be bringing the originals just in case :)

  6. i’m leaving with family for china on tuesday and agent gave us visa requirements late. i don’t have sss id but have sss online access. tried calling the embassy today but they are open only until noon. the agent didnt give me static/contributions info in sss website as option! agent submits to embassy at 10:30am tomorrow. i was able to print this requirement in sss online!!! thanks to you, you are heaven sent.

  7. Hi! Yeah, there is actually no use calling the Chinese Embassy. It is always busy or they do not answer at all.

    There are so many applicants of Chinese every day, the staff doesn’t really scrutinize every requirement. What’s important is at least you have a substitute for something you don’t have.

    I’m sure your family’s very excited. Have a safe trip!

  8. hello po tanong ko lang po if kailangan po ba lahat ng requirements pag kumuha ng china visa? taiwanese po ung husband ko pero nagwowork po sya sa china. kaya po bibisita po ako sa kanya dun. pero wala po akong sss tsaka bank certificate pwede po ba kahit wala non?

  9. Hi! If your husband is working in China then he should send you an invitation letter to present sa Chinese Embassy.

    Dati pwede invitation letter, visa application and passport lang. Unfortunately, now they’re more strict. Kailangan mo pa rin i-submit lahat ng requirements. Even the SSS and bank certificate.

    Pwede mo rin i-try na magsubmit ng bank certificate ng asawa mo instead of your SSS and bank certificate. Hopefully accept nila.

    Good luck!

  10. hello! ung nakuha ko po na visa naka stapler lang sya sa 1 page ng passport ko. tapos ung duration of stay 10 days lang.. meron po ba talagang ganon? please reply po. thanks!

  11. hindi po.. visit ko lang po ung taiwanese husband ko dun.. naka 3 times na ako nakapunta dun ung last ay nung 2008. salamat po

  12. alam nyo po ba kung pwede ko i renew dun sa china after nung 10 days duration na stay ko dun sa china?

  13. Hi. Hope you can answer this asap. I am planning to apply for a chinese visa on August 3. According to the chinese embassy website, employed applicants should have the the ff: employment certificate, company ID, SSS ID and contributions, TIN ID and latest ITR.

    i only have my employment certificate, company ID, TIN Card and SSS E-1. I could print a summary of my SSS contributions but it has too many gaps (latest contribution was april-may 2009) and I wonder if that would do more harm than good. Since i dont have an SSS digitized ID yet, I hope they’d accept my E-1. Also, I don’t have my latest ITR, I forgot to file it last April. I only have my 2008 ITR.

    Do you think I have enough requirements? Are they really that strict? Im bound to shanghai on Aug. 21 so I really wanna settle this visa thing on the first week of August. Thank you so much!

  14. Your SSS E-1 will be accepted. In fact, that is what they specifically ask for. I do not have my E-1 that is why I resolved to submitting my SSS contributions print out.

    As for the ITR, an old one will do since you have your TIN card.

    You didn’t mention having a bank certificate. It’s a requirement as well. A friend of mine who’s also employed went to the Chinese Embassy without a bank certificate and she was asked to come back with it.

    Good luck on your application.

  15. Hi! Thank you for the prompt reply. I already have a bank certificate, thanks for the reminder :) It was nice to hear that I almost have everything that I need for my application. I have another question though, 😀 and I hope you’d still welcome it! Thanks!

    A companion of mine, who recently got employed for the first time, will apply for a TIN and SSS membership tomorrow. Both of us will apply for chinese visa next week. I am certain he could present his E1 and TIN Card at the embassy but not the ITR since he just got employed for the first time. Do you think his TIN card is enough? Unlike me, however, he is well travelled (had been to Shanghai before (old chinese visa was in his old passport).

    We are both very nervous since we’re leaving on Aug. 21 and we are on a very tight budget and could not afford to be rejected. Thank you so much. Your blog really helped us a lot in deciding where to go and which places to visit. :)

  16. The TIN card should be enough. I reckon they will not really notice if your documentary requirement is newly applied or not. A friend of mine opened a bank account for the bank certificate barely a week before applying for the visa. Hers got approved.

    And it always helps if you got other stamps on your passport, to show that you’re a frequent traveler.

    So don’t fret! And don’t forget to share your adventures with us when you guys get back. Safe trip!

  17. Thanks a lot! Now I’m not so worried anymore! We will definitely share the experience. :)

    Take care!

  18. Hi there, I have a copy of my latest ITR, but I have no TIN CARD/ID. Is this enough for me to get a chinese visa.I already have my SSS id, bank certificate, sss contribution etc…
    Thanks a lot!

  19. hi… thanks for the infos.. question po.. nxt yr plan naming mag china-hk-macau, and nid kumuha ng china visa, wala po ako bank cert, ok lng po ba yun? 5 days kami mag stay sa china, den hk den macau.

  20. Hi Nicole! The bank certificate is compulsory. Unfortunately, you really need to find a way to have one. And make sure you still got the 50k in your bank account until they release your passport with the visa sticker. Happy planning!

  21. Hi again! Just dropping by to let you know that our DIY trip to china was successful. I just got back this morning. Too bad, we didn’t get to visit Xian. Hopefully next time. Shanghai is amazing. Beijing life is totally a different experience.

    I took a lot of pics. Hopefully, in the next few days, I can share the link to them. Thank you so much. Your blog really helped me when I was planning for our trip. :)

  22. Awesome! Please do share your photos.

    I am sure you will have the chance to see Xian someday. It’s good not to rush a trip so you can get to know a place more.

    I’m so happy my articles helped you plan your getaway. Safe travels!

  23. Hi There.

    Do I need to submit a bank certificate or a bank statement? I hear that 300k is needed. Is this true? What type of bank document did you submit?


  24. hi! im planning to go to beijing on January 2011. I can say that I have decent work in one of the biggest outsourcing companies in the country. I plan to take my Mom and my 1 year old niece with me to the trip. since I have all requirements needed as stated above, does the same requirements apply to my mom as well? she is a housewife and has no work? what does she need to present? would it suffice that i will be spending for her trip? thanks much!

  25. good day! ask ko lang po,, mag tatravel po kaze kami sa china sa nov para mag cruise kasama ko ang 3yr old daughter ko… housewife din po ako ang husband ko nmn ang seafarer.. ano po ba ang mga requirements since wala nmn po akong work? and ano din requirements ng anak ko kung 3 yr old lng xa,, kailangan pa ba nyang personal n magpunta sa embassy o sa agency? tnx a lot

  26. I’ve been to CHina many times when I was still single. I married a British and now we have a 3 month old baby with British passport.Hopefully ill get my visa soon.But im not worried about my application.Im worried about my son and mum who will be coming with me.I also have two girls from previous relationship 6 an7 years old who will come with me.It is more of a family visit.My mum used to work overseas but doesnt have SSS ID, bank account and CEO.SHe is unemployed at present.She is a senior citizen.Would they require her with the same requirements?How bout my son and two girls?

  27. Hey there! Unfortunately, I do not have info about the requirements for children. As for your mom, if she does not have SSS ID, the E1 form will do or a print out of her SSS contributions. And the bank certificate is required as well. So she would have to open an account so she can request for the certificate to submit to the embassy. Good luck!

  28. Hi there! My partner and I are going to Beijing and Shanghai this November and will apply for a Chinese visa this October. We have all the requirements needed but since we are first time visa applicants, we are worried that we might not get approved. We are planning to get visa assistance from Flight Shop as you recommended. Based on your experience, is getting visa assistance better than doing it in person.

  29. Getting visa assistance is definitely more hassle free, since you need not go to the embassy and wait for hours.

    But you shouldn’t worry just because it’s your first time to apply. As long as your requirements are complete, then your visa application shall be approved :) Then you don’t have to pay for the agency fee.

  30. hi guys,how about 2007 chinese visa L,back to zero ba ang pagkuha uli? L visa kami ng anak ko,last 2007,when were visiting my daughters father.and im planning to apply a chinese passport for my daughter as well.hope somebody can help me..


  31. I will be flying to Korea next Saturday, but my family is planning to have our China Visa processed on Monday. Do you think I can get my VISA on time for my Korea trip?Thanks.

  32. Thank you for the helpful information! May I know if they require PAID round trip plane tickets? or is it fine to show just bookings?

  33. hi! ask ko lang, my dad is a businessman, he has all the requirements except for TIN I.D.? ok lang ba un? no time na kami to get a new one, we’ll be leaving in 2weeks. t.y

  34. hi :) my friends and i availed of cebu pacific’s fare sale (manila-hk, beijing-manila). the flight is on dec 16. visa application is in 4 days thus, we won’t be able to get a visa before our departure. can we just apply for our visa in hongkong? thanks :)

  35. Hi there! From what I’ve heard (early 2010) one must apply for the tourist visa from their country of origin. So I don’t know if HK still entertains Pinoy visa applicants. Better ask the Chinese Embassy in Makati. Good luck!

  36. Hello! For the SSS requirements is it an and/or matter? In the chinese embassy website kase they didn’t say ‘or’ rather SSS ID, E1 & contributions. Kindly clarify. Thank you! 😀

  37. Thanks for this Gaye. I can’t believe that when I applied in 2008, I didn’t submit an invitation letter, nor a COE or a bank statement, and it was a-okay. I hope I won’t have a harder time now that I’m a second timer!

  38. Hi! My husband and I will be going to Beijing with our 10 yr old son and 6yr old daughter this April. Our ticket is RT Manila-Beijing-Manila but we are planning to make a side trip to Shanghai by train then go back to Beijing for our flight. Is it still considered SINGLE ENTRY? By the way, are there additional requirements for kids? Are they required to submit NBI clearance also? Thanks.

  39. hi! i’d like to ask.
    i have a visa sticker in my passport which will expire on Sept 2011 yet and my trip is on April, thus I’ll be applying for a new passport because the passport should be 6mos valid from expiration date.

    Do i still need to provide bank certificate, though i already had with the old passport which is not yet expired but will not fall under the 6 mos valid before expiration.

    2. Also, is it ok to provide a bank certificate less than 50k?

  40. F visa pala yung sakin before.

    when po pala yung earliest na pwede mag-apply for the visa before yung actual departure?

    after 4 days usally mareceive dba?


  41. I have used it in 2006 pa and nasa old passport ko na mag-expire on Sept 2011. Nakalagay kasi sa thread na dapat ba yung sticker visa ay nasa new passport para no need to prepare the 50k bank cert. kasi hindi na first time. or macategorize parin sya as 1st time? I’ll have to renew my passport din kasi before I apply for the visa, April kasi un trip namin.


  42. I see. If it’s the sticker type and if it’s the same type of visa you’re applying, no need to submit the other requirements. However if you switch from F visa to L, you would need to submit everything. But I suggest clarify this with the embassy. Policies change once in a while.

  43. Hi! I wanna apply for a china visa but I’ve been unemployed for over 2 years. Bank certificate is not a problem. I’m just concerned about the other requirements like ITR, SSS contributions and TIN ID. I don’t have a TIN ID,SSS ID and E1. MY ITR,COE and SSS contibutions are from over 2 years ago.

  44. hi! kaka-apply lang po namin ng L visa this morning… we got the pink stub, tpos balikan after 4 days… possible na po ba approve na un or pde parn madeny..thank you!!

  45. hi what if yung bank certificate ko is my payroll account sa work – the certificate itself does not state naman that it’s a payroll account, and then i’ll just deposit 50k to it. will that work? kse i read somewhere, they would also ask a photocopy of the passbook… hope to hear a response…

  46. hi! tanong lang po im planning to visit china next yr first time ko, may bank account ako pero wala akong sss at employment certificate kase student po ako dto sa uk, bale nxt yr matatapos na un student visa ko dto so plano ko visit sa china, kelangan ko pa ba ng invitation letter? panu kung dko maiprovide un invitation letter may mga travel agency po ba na pwede ako tulungan mgbabayad nlng ako?

  47. kelangan papo ba ng invitation letter? may bank account ako, may mga travel agency po ba na pwede magassist ng mga kulang na requirements?

  48. Hello! Your site is very helpful. I am still up wondering if I could just present my sss e-1 form even without the printout of sss contributions and the ID. I also don’t have a TIN ID yet, although I have filed my annual ITR early this year for 2010. The other site I visited reiterates that the ssss contributions printout must be submitted along with the ID or e-1 form. But as you stated, the e-1 form (without the list of contributions) and ITR (minus TIN ID) will suffice. All the other requirements are already at hand. Thanks dear! I think i will bw able to sleep now.

  49. Hi!

    Is the post from the other site more recent? Because when we applied more than a year ago, China Embassy actually specified that they need the E-1 form or SSS card. On the requirement list, they did not even mention the SSS contributions. I just suggested to my travel agent to submit my contributions instead (because I didn’t have both).

    So don’t fret! Your E-1 form will suffice. Plus just submit your ITR form if you don’t have TIN ID.

    Enjoy China!

  50. Hi Gay,
    I am currently reviewing your post and hopefully I can save until Jan 2012 for us to experience snow in China. Your blog is the best and you are one of the most kindest bloggers here in our country. Thank you so much for sharing. More power and God bless.

  51. hi!! now alam ko na po na pag pink from na binigay ok na visa approve… ung case ko, wla akong SSS id so E-1 lng hahanapin na copy and then wala rin ako TIN id ksi matagal irelease kaya ung letter of request of id with stamp lng pinakita ko. and you dont need to have travel agency para magprocess at di need ng super laking show money,,,Our tour in Beijing with my aunt was really great.. love winter.. hope i could bring the rest of my family nextyear..hehehe.. anyway, may idea po ba kau kung mahirap kumuha ng visa papuntang South Korea? thanks!!!

  52. Hi. I need an advice, I’v been working in china for 3 years, but the last try of applying working visa was failed due to chnaging of company (I was still single at this times).and got “*” mark (requested to leave china for 10days). I am now married to a foreigner who are still working in china,I am now using his last name,he wants me to apply for a tourist visa in china …I am worried to show my old passport with ‘*” mark. From the form it aske if i have been china before, what’s the best thing to do?apply as first timer or show my old passport with visas,one with mark?,or is it possible provide photo copies,and exclude visa with “*”? ;( Please advice.

    Waiting for the replies.Thank you in advance.

  53. I think you should show your old passport, because they’ll have a record of your entry in China anyway. So might as well be honest of your situation. Or it might help that you consult a travel agency, since I’m not an expert. Good luck!

  54. Hi! question po, meron kseng akong hotel accomodation under my name lng , kaya lng im planning on bringing my friend in china but he doesnt have hotel reservation. ok lng ba pag iprepresent nya ung copy ng hotel voucher ko that he is staying with me pero wala ung name nya? aapprove b ito ng embassy?


  55. Hello! :) My boyfriend and I plan to go to China next year (May 2012). We are both students so we still don’t have the other requirements such as TIN, SSS and stuff like that. Would a school ID + registration form suffice? We’re both 21 anyway so we’re no longer minors and we don’t need parental consent. Just wondering, is still 50k the minimum amount of money in the bank or would you know if they already raised it? :) Would you advise booking tickets and hotel reservations prior to our visa application to strengthen the possibilities of our application getting approved or it is still risky kasi baka ma-deny kami? Thank you. :)

  56. Hi. The embassy will look for TIN and SSS since the two of you are already 21 and are technically working age. Also, about the hotel reservation, it is a standard requirement. My apologies, but I don’t know if they’ve raised the amount for the bank cert. Good luck with the application?

  57. how will you tell to the embassy na your bank cert is a payroll account? kasi ako nag produce na ako ng bank cert hinihingan pa ako ng statement of account.

  58. Ah ok sis thanks for the info and your website is very informative :) By next week im applying naman for my Korean visit actually its my 3rd time :)

  59. Hi! Is the NBI clearance a must requirement? I’m not sure if I can get the clearance in time for our travel this end of November if in case I have a hit in the NBI records. I’m planning to rely on the other requirements and I also have a US visa which I hope can give me a bigger chance to get Chinese visa.

    Very helpful blog! Cheers.

  60. pls help me anyone i nid a bank certificate where or any agencies providing bank certificate i nid it very urgently travelling for spain. her’s my cntact no. 09155328261 tnx..

  61. hi! my friends and i are going to beijing next year. im applying for chinese visa but i dont have TIN ID or ITR. would sss id be ok. and i dont have bank account yet. can i just say one of my friends sponsored my travel? tnx

  62. hi po..
    punta po ako shanghai this dec 14, my book npo kmi ksma kopo aswa ko at 2 anak ko 4yrold at 2yrsold.. mama kopo ngwwork s shanghai almost 4yrs, nagpadla nrin po ng invitation letter, bank statement, resident visa compny id at chinese id.. aswa kopo housewife, ako po dati n ng tourist nun 2008 dun din po s mama ko.. ngyon po maried nko, prob kopo ngwwork s ako friend ko my internet cafe 2 branch po both have 60 unit. kso sumasahod po me ng cash pero wla npo me hulog n SSS, at tax kc direkta n nia me pinassahod evry week. almost 3 yrs n me ng wwork s knya… meron npo me COE galing s knya at employment certifcate n my nlkgay n anual gross.. pno po kya ung SSS contr. at ITr ko.. pero my SSS card po me.. TIN po kkuha plng me.. pls advise nmn po.

  63. hpi po
    ako ung ng ask about flight dis dec 14
    di napo ba nila qquestion un about sa print out cotribution ko,.. at itr.?? same lng b kmi ng aswa ko ng requirement.. ung aswa kopo kc dti nrin cia nkpunta nsa korea almost 7 yrs nkalipas visit din po.. e sa 2 anak kopo anu ba requirement nila.. smalat po… medyo gumaan pkiramadam ko nun cnsbi nio un nlng kulng.. ty po

  64. Hi! Your website is very informative. We’re planning to get a visa for Beijing but we’re not sure since my bf and I are both unemployed but we do have bank cert. Anyways, most of the questions have been answered in the comments. But I would like to know if pwede bang ako na lang ang mag submit ng application on his behalf? He is 29 and I’m 30. San ako mag bayad ng fee? So pag nde na approve, wala na rin ung 1400 parang sa US Embassy? Should I ask for an appointment as well? How much po ung nagastos nyo sa entire tour? At anong season kayo pumunta? Sorry for the many questions. Your answers will be a great help! Thanks!

  65. Your bf should apply himself. The fee is paid at the embassy after you have submitted the docs and they don’t give back the fee if it ain’t approved. The officer makes sure you got the sufficient docs anyway so if they ask you to come back for your passport, it’s highly likely that it will be approved.

    We went during winter season when accommodation is a bit cheaper. We were in China for about days with a trip to Xian, I can’t remember how much it cost us. You can check my China articles for more detailed accounts.

  66. hi.. my bf and i planing to spend 1 week in china.
    pero manggagling xa sa france,,then ako philippines,for now i dont have work .,and its my first time getting a visa..i have sss number but not about the bank acount? dpat b skin or sa bf… ndi ko alam kung panu to mg work..

  67. hello there!! we’re booked to fly for shanghai this December and we want to go and pay Beijing a visit as well. Is it wise to apply for a Chinese visa months prior or days prior to the trip? Also, I’m a government employee, can my GSIS ID and contributions take the place of the SSS requirement? Lastly, is it really needed to book for a hotel already upon application? (we’re scared that we might get rejected, sayang naman ang money.. hehehe!) If yes, do we need to have hotel bookings for both Shanghai and Beijing? or Shanghai hotel booking will suffice? Thanks so much!!! =)

  68. I don’t have an idea about the GSIS, sorry. But I do know SSS is a required document. And yes, hotel booking is a requirement too. They may ask for bookings for the entirety of your stay for this also serves as your trip itinerary. Try to look for hotels who don’t ask for down payment. We found one in Beijing.

  69. hi there,

    just want to ask if there is a chance that our visa application will be approved given that we only have 80K (for me and my husband in our savings bank certificate. we will be staying there for 5 days only. We got all the other requirements, but this amount makes me wonder if we will get the visa. Thanks in advance for your reply.

  70. hi
    i am getting a visa, tourist visa in china pero unemployed aku.wala akung TIN and sss.. but i have my bnk c. already and also hotel and round tip ticket,,anu pa kya ang pwede nlng hingin na papers?

  71. Hi
    I already got my china visa, I just want to ask about the needed documents in their immigration?thnks and more travel to you!!!…

  72. Hello po! Would you know kung ano po ang requirements for authentication of documents? Same building rin naman po sila diba? Also, what is the best time to go there para maka-abot sa pila? From MRT ano po bang means of transpo ang pwedeng sakyan (or kung maglalakad ba) para makarating sa building? Thanks!

  73. hello Im lupe, just an update and a question. My Tourist Visa was approved with 30K bank cert only but requirements above were complete. My travel to Beijing was just last June 2011.
    My question is, what if i visit Beijing again besides hindi ko pa nakita Terra Cota Armies, will I only present what you mentioned above for second time visitor? My plan of visit is next year December.
    Thanks a lot!!!

  74. Hi, matagal na akong di nagfile ng ITR kasi online ang work ko, I do not pay taxes. I applied for a visa sa cebu last month and i learned today na rejected yung application ko. I am already in a apnic kasi I am supposed to leave on the 23rd!!!I read this blog and it seemed na my agent did not ask me for a tin id in lieu of an ITR. Ano pwede ko pang ipresent since I will be processing it myself in manila na lang on monday.

    What I have are the ff:

    hotel accomodations
    sss contribution history and copy of sss id application since nawala yung sss id ko (but i have the certificate of loss attached)
    nbi clearance
    bank cert

    meron akong copy ng tin ko and i can get my itr for 2009 pero ang tanong, pwede ba yun?


  75. hi.. mayroon kc kaming family vacation sa hongkong mag aappply na kmi ng chinese visa pero kasama ko kaai ung boyfriend ko,, pwede ba syang isama dun sa invitation letter na ipapadala ng tito na nakatira sa china? if hnd pwede , ano kaya ang pwede naming gwn ? tnx po

  76. What airlines you can suggest best for travel in china. I’m leaving on the 1st of April for holiday and visit my fiancé in Shenyang.
    Best regards.

  77. hi, i have been issued a chinese visa before (2008 ata) but i wasn’t able to use it… am i considered as a first time applicant?…

    complete naman na yung requirements ko except for nbi clearance… pwde na kayang wala yun? im a frequent traveller naman and have other visas pa.

  78. Hi my husband is Canadian and has an F visa. Is he capable to invite me to china or dapat eh z visa sya? I used to have an f visa too per nag expire NA and I wanna visit my husband there so I wanna get a tourist visa

  79. hi there! im planning to visit Beijing April next yr.My problem is im not employed.I have travelled to different asian countries that do not require you think i have the chance of acquiring a tourist visa?Im planning to go to Korea also..but my major major problem is i dont have ITR since im not employed.
    this blog is very helpful.thanks so much!

  80. hello gud afternoon.Im ryan malabonga nag apply ako ng visa application first time ko ito tas i have my documents n din galing sa pinsan ko kasi sponsor nia ako.. i have my roundtrip tiket, NBI clearance,passport, invitation letter, passport nd visa pati residence visa ng pinsan ko n xerox, tas house contract and bank certificate.

    ito tanong ko lng bat d tinanggp ung application ko kulang daw gawa ng invitation e walng seal ng MAFO tas ung bank certificate kahpon lng nkuha may 2, 2012 dapat 6months before? me kung anu p ung nid ko para makakuha ako ng visa thanks GOdbless

  81. ay ganun b… itry ko nlng ulet, kc chinese un tumingin ng mga req. ko, mukang mahigpit ata ngaun gawa ng ng iringan ng china at pinas.. try ko nlng ulet sa monday, panu b kita mcontact?

  82. pag nakalagay na requirement, it means your application will not be accepted if you lack such requirement. ganun sila kahigpit. ako nga dati bank cert, hindi 50k hindi tinanggap. then nung 50k na, nawala naman yung official receipt, hindi pa rin tinanggap. buti na lang may passbook. better pa kung passbook, wala ng kaartehan di ka pa magbabayad sa bangko. kaso dapat ixerox lahat requirement dahil di na nila ibabalik kung ipass niyo ang original

  83. grabe dami pa plang kelangan pag cousin ung kumuha sa china embasy.. ung kumuha kc sakin e ung aswa ng pinsan ko iba apelyido niya kc ung babae pinsan ko e.. tas dami pa nid mga marriage contract tas ung mga nso n birth cert ng mga mgulang nmen. naka 2 ng punta ako dun, ang higpit nila msaydo.. anu b dapat gwin ko tutal d ko nmn kaano-ano ung lalaki talga n husband nia?.. friend nalng kea ang gwin sa invitation letter? tas ung bank certificate wala nmn cnbi dun. help me qng panu gagwin ko malapit n ung flight ng ticket ko e.. thnks Godbless

  84. hi ms. traveljunkie I truly admire your adventures.. and I really envy you for going to so many diff. places..

    I’m hoping to visit china this year, do you guys have an idea if getting china tourist visa is affected by the issues on scarborough shoal, Im nervous about this one. I hope there’s no travel ban to china..


  86. hello.. I have all my requirements for visa application with me but the only problem comes to my mind is that they’re asking for hotel accommodations.. could you please help me.. thanks in advance..

  87. Hi,

    Very nice blog po. Super rich of information. Ask ko lang, A friend will sponsor us there sa china. Do we still need to present our own bank certificates/statements or okay na yung bank certificate sa friend ko na nasa china na mag sponsor sa amin? Also, sa shanghai kasi siya located and we’re planning to visit also beijing before our return trip here sa philippines, kelangan din po ba ng hotel accomodation for beijing? Thank you. :)

  88. Hi, Thanks for the response po. One last question po, dalawa po kami pupunta ng beijing, okay lang po ba na ung hotel reservation is only under my name? and hindi nag appear yung name ng kasama ko? :)

  89. Kelangan meron din name ng kasama mo, coz you need to print the booking confirmation twice. You guys are applying for respective visas, so magkahiwalay rin ang bundle ng docs nyo.

  90. hi. With regards po sa bank certificate, pwede ba mag one-time deposit ng 50k just to get a certificate? hindi ba yun eki-question ng embassy kung bakit hindi normal ung deposit transaction sa atm? thanks po. :)

  91. I have enough money in my bank account for a 8 days travel in China, lets say its in 6digits, i also have my E-1 form but never been employed so i might not produce the TIN ID or the ITR. (the rest of the requirements can be easily procured). my question is that will this lessen my chances of getting a Chinese visa since this is also my first time to travel abroad if ever i am granted of the said visa? Thank you…

  92. hi there this is my first time to fly abroad a frend of mine who happens to be a chinese is inviting me to be in his country ask ko lang para sun sa invitatio letter may babayaran ba sya dun on his behalf? or how about yung fiance visa how long is the process bago maka alis and same with the invi letter coming from him thank you dear :)

  93. thank you dear he already sent me the invi letter through e-mail, in regards dun sa bank cert ano pwede alternative dun coe pwede ba sya? just in case na hindi pwede yung coe what if kung i will borrow from mom and deposit it to my account after I got the bamk cert pwede na ba sya i withdraw? hehehe sorry dear first time

  94. Hi Lizzy, the bank certificate is an important requirement. The COE is a separate doc you need to submit as well. You may deposit money you’ve borrowed, but it would help that the actual bank account’s been existing for quite some time already. Cause some people set up one just days before the visa application.

  95. Hi your site was very helpful to me when I applied this week. Just an additional note to those intending to apply soon, at the bulletin board outside the consul is a list of the latest requirements and a roundtrip ticket is now required (I applied on June 21 2012). I was just lucky enough to have gotten one before I applied. Also they are quite strict with the Bank Certificate. I had one (indicating the date as to when I opened the acct), but they wanted the receipt for when I requested the bank certificate. They gave me 30 minutes to get it (Thankfully my bank was 20 minutes away!). Good luck! :)

  96. Pinay Travel Junkie noted a roundtrip ticket here as required but I just stressed it again since on the website it’s not required :) Also, Pinay Travel Junkie is right – have at least 50k! :)

  97. oh thank you dear I think I have to deposit now since my friend is expecting me this september right so we wont have a trouble with that, now the one million dollar question is how much do i need to deposit and how about the show money I mean at the airport do i need to bring some cash (of course I should hehe) in exchange for RMB and how much thank you dear i wanna say wo ai ni to you :)

  98. wow thank you so much for all the details yeah i hope they’ll be more lenient when it comes to that matter…. thank you so much dear you’re an angel! (wink) i wish i could use an emoticons here.. hahaha (hug)

  99. hi po pwd ba hingi ko sana tulong nyo guys…its my first time to apply visa for china(tourist visa) can you give me some tips how to apply visa para di po ako ma deny…:)

    thnk u po.

  100. hi, when is the best time to apply for a visa? should i apply 1month ahead of my departure or can i apply the same month of my departure? thanks in advance.

  101. Hi! This blog is really helpful.. Just a question- me and my parents would like to visit shanghai in december. I’m planning to book our hotels via agoda and the confirmation will only bear my name on it. If we will be applyinh for chinese visa can they use the confirmation letter which has my name on it?

  102. Hello! This would be my first time to visit,and first tie to deposit, regarding sa 50K bank account, what is best to do? Time deposit po ba?
    And how much should i bring for a pocket money?
    Thanks in advance!

  103. As stated above, do not rely on the information found on the embassy’s website. While most of it are true, the embassy is pretty strict about the bank account details – your saving account should be 6 months old, the statement should be for the activities for 6 months, you need to have an average daily balance of P100,000. The consul who assisted our group earlier was a bitch.

  104. Required na mga yung 100k na pera sa bank… But nasa bulletin board din nila na if you can provide an invitation letter for tourist from the authorized travel agency in China, you dont need to submit bir and bank statement… Im still waiting for the feedback of those who applied their visas after july 16, 2012. The new policy was implementef lang last july 16. Im keeping my fingers crossed… 🙏

  105. Hi, thanks for all the great information! I am an Australian citizen and I want to take my Filipino friend to China for a vacation. We are now applying for his tourist visa to enter China. Does he also need to show P100,000 in his bank account or is this not required as I am paying for his holiday and I can show I have paid for our return flights and hotel.

  106. H PTJ!

    Nagkaron na ko ng F student visa before. Pero that was 9 years ago pa. So I dont have to submit the docs na? Only my old and passport with chinese VISA and stamps?

    ANg taas ng 100k kasi, mukang hindi ko kaya :(

  107. Hi! Your blog has been really helpful! Thank you so so much for updating it! Just wanted to share with the others that the 100k they want is not just the ADB. They also want you to have at least 100k per month for the last six months. As in hindi dapat bababa ng 100k ang acct mo for the last six months. That’s how I got disproved eh. I have 100k ADB nga but since there were large withdrawals and deposits, they rejected my application. Nung Feb-March kasi, nasa mga 40k lang ata yung balance. Haay. I’ll try to look for an ‘authorized travel agency in china’ to help me get the visa. Will update you if magawan ko ng paraan. Thanks!

  108. Im a british citizen living and working in Cebu. I booked flights to beijing for like 4 days for next month. I was coming up with all the documents i thought i needed until i discovered that you need 100k in your account. I had to re-read that about 20 times over because i cannot fathom how insanely ridiculous that is. Please tell me you’re all joking….I think its easier to get in to North korea than it is just to visit for a few harmless days in China. Have i truely wasted my money on flights/hotel reservations etc. I just do not have that in my account. Do they accept bribes haha

  109. HI! im booked on sept 5-9 to shanghai. and i plan to process my visa thru travel although i already have the requirements needed. what do you think guys, should i process it myself or just pursue with the agency? *fingers crossed*

    if anyone is going to shanghai on the same date, pls let me know. i intend to go to beijing and nanjing also and having a travel buddy must be fun. 😀

  110. Better submit the regular savings coz it has deposit and withdrawal transactions…and make sure you get the receipt of the draft coz the embassy will be looking for that. Getting a Taiwan Visa is even harder now coz application has to be filled up on line, it’s like applying for a US Visa , it’s even expensive 2,400.
    nixangel… do it yourself.. advisable to book for tours, so you have at least an itinerary to show.

  111. hello, plan ko po mag travel to china firstimer po ako may problem ko po ay ung e-1 lng sa sss meron ako nung 2006 pa yong e-1 ko hinid kona kc nahulugan un g sss ko pwede pa kaya ung dati kung e-1 or kailangan ko ng kumuha ng bago.. wala din po akong tin id kung mag aaply ba ng tin id madali lng makakuha ano po ang requirments pag nag apply ng tin ? kahit wla pong id ung certificate lang okay na po un papakita sa embassy? or pwede pong lumapit sa travel agency para cla na nag mag process ng paper.. th.

  112. Hi Therese,

    Nag-change na yung requirements of the Chinese Embassy. You no longer need the TIN ID and the SSS ID. If you’re a first time traveller, you need the following (in addition to the application form, picture and photocopy of 1st and last page of passport):

    1. ITR
    2. Bank statement/passbook for the past 6 months showing ending balance each month and average daily balance of P100k
    3. Invitation letter from authorized travel agent (if you submit this, you no longer need to submit 1 and 2)
    4. Flight and hotel booking if invitation letter is not available.

    Hope this helps.

  113. Omg!!!! I am so frustrated. I got a plane ticket abck and forth pa tapos may booking na rin ako for a tour package. Then i read this na dapat pala 100k ung nasa bank.

    I only have 20 k in my bank kasi my husband and i deposit most of our savings in our joint account. Ung joint namin nasa mga 120k palang din. Kasi akala tlga nmin na 50 k lang Ok na. we dont have itr kasi we both work online.

    Pano na ito?

    i have an sss e1 form lng last 2010 . Wla rin id kasi i stopped contributing nung nag online job nlng ako. But i have travelled na to singapore, malaysia, hongkong and macau.

    I am so sared na baka ma deny kami kasi we have planned this trip for a honeymoon pa sana. Late na nga kasi april pa kami kinsal.

  114. helo a student and want to travel in china just for 3days…what r the requirements that i need?
    secondly: if i have sponsor what r the requirements?

  115. pwede ba ang certificate from coop na you have this amount of money stashed here like 200k? meron din akong time deposit in dollars and savings pero sa savings atleast 50k lang.

  116. Submitted my application and other requirements today. Was given a pink claim slip for sept4. Can I assume that I’ll get a visa na? O may chance pa ba na ma-deny yun?

  117. Bank cert showed all my peso td, savings acct and would total more than 100k would that be enough? Maintained acct more than 3 yrs already.

  118. Hello I booked a plane ticket with hotel reservation for my family to include my parents. We are all US citizens except for my parents. They are both senior citizens 76 yrs old. They do not have ITR,SSS, TIN,and Bank certificate. Do you think they can get a visa? What other requirements they will need? THANX

  119. hello, may nagpost na need lng inviation from authorized travel agent and no need the bank statement and ITR,. is this true? pls response i nned an aswer coz im planning to go china also,.

  120. Hi
    Tatanong ko lng po…kagagaling ko lng po ng China gamit ung dual visa,nagstay po ako dun ng 30days.nakalagay s visa ko enter before nov.17 2012
    Pwede po b akong bumalik s China on nov.10 and magstay for 30 days like before?

  121. would like to ask, sino na dito naka experience submitting an Invitation Letter from an Authorized Travel Agency in China? if we have this? do we still need for an ITR and bank certs?

  122. Good Evening., Tanong ko lang may visa na ako sa old passport ko sticker type xa., ngayon gusto kong bumalik ng china using my new passport ano kya and requirements?thanks.

  123. Hi! Same question as posted above. If anyone has experienced submitting an Invitation Letter from an Authorized Travel Agency in China and if it was enough for you not to supply ITR and bank certs anymore? Hope someone could help on this! Thanks!

  124. Hello. I have a huge dillema. To make long story short, I sbmitted my requirements to an incompetent travel agency. I am flyong november 7 next week and they returned my stuff to me earloer today saying I have insufficient requirements.

    I am thinkong now of going there monday to apply for nyself. I have the option of applying as a student or a businesswoman. I am going there for a china convention. Could youbplease give me advice if which proesses faster. I have 2 days :( counting monday. Hope to get some wisdom from u. Baka makahabol pa ako.please let me know.

  125. Hello. We are planning to go to Guangzhou (first time in China) for training. China Embassy in Manila will not issue our visas and had our employer (in Manila) send our passports to China for visa processing there by the company who invited us. Is this a usual procedure? It’s the first time i have experienced this. Hope to hear your reply soonest. Thanks very much in advance.

  126. Very helpful tips gay!.. All I have to do now is to secure at least 100K in my account haha! kainis na mga VISA-requiring countries yan!… lol

  127. hi,

    if my bank daily average balance for the past six months will be less than the required P100k, for its just around P50k on the first 1 month then more than P100k on the remaining 5 months, will my visa application be denied? can i show certification for my stock market investment as an additional docs to show that my other money is invested and not retained in the bank?

    please advise. thank you

  128. Hi. I am an OFW in the middle east and am planning to apply for a chinese visa in my workplace.However, one of their embassy’s requirement is an “Introduction letter of my work unit” which basically should state my personal info, purpose of visit and a so called “statement of responsibility”. Do you by any chance knew what they meant by that or how I would present it? Also, what exactly does an average daily balance means?

    Thanks! I appreciate your blogs.

  129. hi there, i did a most stupidiest thing on my passport! haha nilagay ko SARILI kong pangalan sa likod ng passport ko (in case of emergency, pls contact:..) after ko masulat yung name ko, dun ko lng napansin na ang stupid ko! mygod! mag kaka problema ba kaya ako dun? KHIT KUMPLETO naman requirements ko? :) thanks in advance

  130. Hello.
    My mom wants to visit China this summer with me and my sisters but I’m unemployed and have no bank account. I however have a time deposit, is that okay? We’re all first time applicants and we have no friends/relatives to send us an Invitation letter. Can we still apply? I’m afraid that If we book our flights and hotel before applying for visa, the embassy might deny us of tourist visas. Thank You!

  131. Hey,i took your advice of taking flight shop for the china visa. i worked like awesome. they processed ours docs the day after we sent it and after a exactly a week we got it.

    it got approved. and experienced the snow for the first time atop the great wall of china. it was 12/12/12 in the afternoon then.

    thank you.

  132. I am visiting Manila and plan to go to Shanghai for few days. Can I apply for china visa from Manila ? I am a US citizen. Thanks

  133. Hi! I’ve been working in Sh for six months and want to invite my son who is five years old and he’ll be accompanied by my mother. He’s illegitimate so I requested for a red ribbon from the Phil embassy in China. I will courier the red ribbon and other docs one of these days. Do you happen to know what other necessary docs I should send? Is the Chinese consulate strict when it comes to the bank statement? I’ve got a bank statement but it doesn’t have the daily allowance of 100k. Though, I am able to provide all the certs and docs related to my job just to prove that I have got a stable one here in China. I will appreciate if you reply. Thank you!

  134. Your mother and son need a sponsorship letter from you since you’re their host in China. Not sure if they’ll still be required of the bank statement.

  135. hi po..tga mindanao po ako..sabi kc ng friend ko pwede raw process ung chinese tourist visa sa manila..kahit na hndi na raw ako kailangan pumunta pa ng manila for processing..???bali ipapadala nlng daw yung passport ko manila? at bali invite lng po ako ng friend ko sa China..i think hndi ko na kailangan yung bank certificate at itr..may apartment po sya dun then sya po lahat2 sa pagkain..lahat2 po..sana po matulongan nyo ako..

  136. Good day.
    ask ko lng po kng required pa rn ba ung current bank balance na 100k if i was invited as speaker on an even at dalian china?please i need an answer soon, thank you

  137. plano kung mamasyal sa Beijing December or March next year. Kaya lang concern ko yong ‘dispute” between China & Phils. Wala kayang effect yong sa mga Filipino travelers dun?

  138. Shouldn’t be a prob :) Especially you bring in business for them. Just avoid talking about politics, I guess.

  139. Hi, is a Taiwan visa, considered as Chinese visa? ‘Cause I have it, I might be categorizezed as a non-first timer.

  140. kuya pake sagot yung tanong ko kasi next month may oupounta ako ng china… completo nmn po ako ang problema ko lang eh yung ITR.. its ben 7 years na hindi ako nka pag work sa pilipinas… so wala akung record sa present. kc nag aabroad ako at tumira sa singapore with my fiance… may apekto po ba kung yung ipapasa kung ITR EH yung last job ko pa sa SM 2007 pa:) thank u… makak
    apekto po bayon

  141. hi po… pake sagot nmn po ng tanong ko next month na po kasi ako balak pumunta ng china,.,, completo nmn po ako sa requirements… ang pinuproblema ko yung ITR ko……. matagal n akung hindi ng wowork dito sa pinas … 2006 pa.. ang ITR KO.. yun kc ang last work ko dito eh since then ng aabroad n ako paano yan mkakaapekto po bayan sa pag kuha ko ng visa,,, kc yung itr ko matagal na thank u….

  142. urgent hiring !!

    who want to work at home and earn extra income from 350 to 500 a day ..

    paid by finishing tasks through researching and encoding online every week via


    Must be a legitimate Filipino Citizen and is currently residing in the

    2. Age
    15 to 45 years old

    Highschool, College level or Graduate.

    Basic knowledge on internet and MS Excel, Word & Powerpoint.

    Accessibility on internet at home is an advantage.

    Must be residing on a place where money transfer services are available (LBC)

    Please fill up these information and send to

    Phone Number:
    Email Address:
    Facebook URL:

    for more details, kindly visit

  143. hi good morning po ask ko lng po sana kng pwede invitation letter lng po ang ipakita ko for tourist in china?galing na din ako sa hongkong for 6 years,travel na din ako ng macau,kasi ala po akong bank account and itr sss member din po ako pero d na po sya active ano po b dapat kong gawin para makakuha ng simple tourist visa thank u po have a gud day

Leave a Reply